Ask Acorn_Website general image_suggested size
Placeholder_Ask Acorn

All so easy

How can I easily find home insurance in Ireland that’s exactly what I need and at a price I can afford? Just Ask Acorn, that’s how.

A simpler, faster solution

No home is the same. Big, small, in the heart of the city or in the peace of the countryside, your home insurance is unique to you. That’s why, in just a few minutes, we compare the leading insurers for the best-priced quote for you. Let us do the hard work.

Looking for great home insurance cover?

Just Ask Acorn and it’s done.


Why Ask Acorn?

Because we shop the home insurance market so you don’t have to.

We search what’s on offer across the home insurance market to find you the best deal, at the very best price. And that’s not the only reason to choose Ask Acorn.

Asking all the right questions

We’ll help you ask the right questions. For example, do you want to include accidental damage cover to protect against mishaps like a broken window or a burst pipe? Do you need extra cover to protect your most valuable things? Or, are you thinking of renting out a room in your home?

Always ready

With the right home insurance cover in place, you can cope with most misfortunes that could happen to your home. Whether you need to repair fixtures or replace important belongings after they’ve been stolen, damaged or destroyed, we’ll make sure you’re covered.

All needs covered

To ensure you are fully covered, you can combine buildings insurance (covering damage to the property itself) with contents insurance (for damaged or stolen items within the home). Or, each can be arranged separately. The first step is deciding which option is best for you.

A choice of ways to pay

The choice is yours to pay your home insurance premium in full or spread the cost over 10 months with our easy payment options. Pick whatever suits you best.


What our customers say

Choose the home insurance cover that’s right for you

Just leave it to Ask Acorn. We’ll confirm exactly what level of home insurance cover you want, then search Ireland’s leading insurers for the very best quote. It’s that simple!

All the answers to FAQs

Check out our frequently asked questions to learn more about finding the cover that’s right for you and your home:

  • Do I need home insurance?

    Home insurance reassures you that the cost of rebuilding your home can be covered by your insurance provider, if anything happens to it. At the same time, your mortgage lender will require that you have home insurance as part of your mortgage agreement. To find out more about getting a home insurance policy, call us on 0818 800 222.

  • What do you mean by ‘contents’?

    We define contents as everything you could take with you if you moved house. We recommend you spend some time creating a list of the contents in each room including the garage, the shed and the garden. 

  • How can I work out the right building cover for my home?

    To calculate how much building insurance your home requires, you’ll need to find out its rebuilding cost. This is different from its current market value as it is an estimate of what a builder would charge to reconstruct your home at current building costs. To work this out, take a look at the Society of Chartered Surveyors Ireland rebuilding calculator here.

  • Are my personal possessions covered if I take them out of my home?

    Personal possessions are not covered unless you take out specified or unspecified all risks cover as part of your home insurance policy. We recommend taking out this cover to insure valuable personal possessions like jewellery, watches and cameras. Terms and conditions can vary depending on the insurer.

  • Does my home insurance cover the family computer?

    Yes, provided that the computer is only for personal use. In order to insure your computer outside the home you’ll have to take out additional all-risks cover.

  • Does my home insurance cover my shed and garage? 

    Yes, although some conditions or limits may apply, items such as a lawnmower or garden tools, which are stored outside of your home in a locked shed or garage, are typically covered. You should check your home insurance policy for more information on limits.

  • As a landlord, can I insure my house even though I don’t live there?

    Yes, you can. Landlords can get a quote for rental properties online or by calling 0818 800 222.

  • Why should a landlord have public liability insurance when renting out a property?

    If you are a landlord, public liability insurance covers you if a tenant or visitor is injured and or has property damaged while on your premises. This cover will give you peace of mind, knowing that you are financially protected if an unforeseen accident or incident occurs on your rental property.

  • How can I find out what type of locks are on my doors?

    When comparing home insurance quotes for you, we ask you what kind of locks you have on all of your outside doors. This helps us assess your property’s security level. The types of doors you have on your home can help you determine the type of locks you have. If you have wooden doors, they are probably fitted with mortice deadlocks and/or night latches – if you have uPVC or composite doors (or a patio door), it’s likely a multi-point locking system.

    You can also check what is written on the lock. 5 lever means it’s a five-lever mortice deadlock; Yale usually means it’s a night latch; a serial number starting with BS3621 means it meets the BSI standard; SS312 and TS007 are codes more commonly linked with multi-point locking systems and cylinders.

    Whatever type of locks you have fitted, remember to use them when you go out, as you will have difficulty claiming on your home insurance if you leave your doors unlocked.

  • Do I have to take out home insurance offered to me by my bank?

    No. You are completely free to shop around for the best value home insurance quote. While your buildings must be insured to the amount stated by your bank or building society when they valued the property, you are not obliged to take out a policy with them.

  • While working from home, is the laptop supplied by my employer covered?

    As working from home is very normal these days, your employer should adequately insure any equipment they provide. This includes items such as laptops, monitors and printers. If anything supplied by your employer is damaged or stolen, it’s important to tell them promptly so they can make a claim on their policy.

Looking for great value home insurance?

Just Ask Acorn.

Didn’t find what
you are looking for?